Sunday, January 13, 2008

A half-day in my life...

My friend Suzanne posted a Blog Challenge at O' Scrappy Day this week where we are supposed to focus on the first half of our day and include details about what it looks like, feels like... The truth, it wasn't grabbing me. Probably because the way my life goes isn't exactly what I like to describe for others. My intention was to skip this challenge and wait for the next. But, after this morning...I decided to take Suzanne up on that challenge.

It is Sunday. Last night I took a new medication to help with insomnia that I usually struggle with in the first few hours of trying to sleep. I slept very well, deeply, like I haven't in a very long time. No alarm clock because Jovanna was with her father to give me a little bit of respite. So, I was able to sleep in this morning. Just as I was beginning to stir, my boyfriend got a call to come into work. So, now I am waking. What? No way! That means Jovanna is with her Dad all day and my boyfriend is working...that means...THE WHOLE DAY TO MYSELF! To do whatever I want to do, when I want to do it, minute by minute I could decide what it was "I" wanted to do! My excitement began to grow deep within me as this phenomena was beginning to hit home.

I checked my email, logged in to the Scrapdango Forum to see's whats happening. Then, I thought I think I will go for a ride to my favorite place (Starbucks) and get a Tall Mocha with 2 pumps chocolate, 1 pump white chocolate, 190 degrees, with whip and pumpkin spice sprinkles on top. Mmmm... I love that. After returning home, I took a couple of updated photos of our upcoming Scrapdango February Kits, did some photoshop on them, and then as I was posting them I got a call...the caller id said "TJ". So, my heart sank in my gut. I knew what it meant. This is Jovanna's father and it meant that he would be bringing her back to me. She has Autism Spectrum Disorder and Aspergers. She is on the extremely challenging end of the spectrum. She was screaming, throwing things...the usual and he was on his way to bring her back home. It wasn't but just moments before I heard our precious labrador, Zoee, move towards the door, trying to sniff the air filtering in at the base of the door. She knew someone was here and since she wasn't barking or growling, I knew it was a familiar scent to her. The door busts open, things go flying all over the room...coat, the food I had sent with her dad the night before, and then she began yelling at me to get her something to eat and yelling complaints about her father.

So, unfortunately, my anticipated day of doing whatever I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it, minute by minute deciding what it was "I" wanted to do, was cut short. I should have known it was too good to be true.

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh Carrie! But if only for a moment, your ideal morning happened. What a challenge for you day in and day out. I'd like to say, this too shall pass, but being a parent never "passes", especially for the parents of a special needs child. Stay strong and savor the YOU moments! Hugs going out to you!

Origin said...

Big hugs to you! You are indeed a phenomenal woman!

Regina said...

Bless your heart...Savor those YOU moments. It is so hard when you have a special needs child. You are such a strong and phenomenal woman!!!! Hugs to you

Debbie Gaydos said...

(((HUGS))) Carrie! I'm so sorry that your day didn't work out like you had planned. What challenges you have... you are such a strong woman! I hope you get your "me day" soon!

Anonymous said...

Carrie you are just awesome! Bless your heart!