Saturday, February 23, 2008
We know a little more now
We now know a little more about what made my father so sick recently. It wasn't his body giving up to infection or his immune system from cancer. It was a very serious infection he received from tainted products that were purchased from China~tainted heparin and saline pre-filled flush syringes carrying contamination for Serratia marcescens, a deadly bacteria with the potential to cause serious injury, or even death. Back in December all medical facilities were notified to pull these from the shelves. Initially it was thought that it was just a few batches of the flush syringes in a few states were contaminated but now the blood infection is popping up all over the United States in alarming numbers, not only making people with already compromised immune systems seriously sick, but also killing people. It appears that the dialysis center that my father goes to did not adhere to the orders to remove these and months after the recall, they were still using them. When we asked them about it, they assured us they were no longer using those syringes, however, my father got sick with this deadly bacteria only a few weeks ago and he is still fighting for his life. This is so widespread, I can't even tell you how big this is. I did a search for "tainted heparin syringes" and I pulled up pages and pages and pages of results regarding this recent contamination. There are lawsuits being filed and people who were using these products to help them are dying from the very thing that was supposed to keep them alive.