Saturday, September 13, 2008

Reflections on 9/11

Every year we all reflect back on 9/11 and somehow we all tend to remember what we were doing and where we were on that awful morning. I was getting ready for work and turned on the local news as I always do while getting ready and there it was, on every station - the images of the first plane making contact and as I was watching, the second plane. I didn't even care that I was supposed to be at work or even think to make a phone call that I was running late. I continued watching the television and watched in horror as the towers fell. I couldn't speak, I couldn't move. I didn't have any ties to anyone I loved in the areas that were attacked but somehow I had feelings of deep sadness, fear and so many other feelings that I am not sure there are words to describe them. When I finally was able to peel myself from the television and head to work, it felt like such an inconsequential thing to have to do - to go to work. The office was in complete silence, everyone was speechless, unable to find words to say. We had meetings on that day and no one was in a space to be able to talk about things that now seemed so unimportant.

No comments: